The land on which the Canadian National Vimy Memorial sits was gifted to Canada by France in recognition of the human sacriﬁce of that young nation. It is located at Hill 145, that is to say, the highest point of the 14-kilometre long Vimy Ridge. On 9 April 1917 the four divisions of the Canadian Army Corps, ﬁghting together for the ﬁrst time and assisted by a ﬁfth division, this one British, stormed the ridge. The 117-hectares Memorial is still dotted with shell craters. The trenches and tunnels recreate the conditions of the battleﬁelds. The Monument is a tribute to all Canadians who fought in France during the First World War and where the names of the 11,285 Canadian soldiers who have been killed in France and that have no know grave.